The Queen’s Park Cricket Club was founded in 1891 and its home ground was the Queen’s Park Savannah.
It was the 23rd March 1896 that Queen’s Park Cricket Club played their last match at the Queen’s Park Savannah and a move was made to occupy the club’s new ground: A parcel of land west of the Savannah. It consisted of ten acres and sixteen perches.
Before the end of 1896, the pavilion had been erected, becoming the first building on the site. Queen’s Park was ready to welcome Lord Hawke’s team at the beginning of 1897, and the first international match was played at the Oval on January 29th and 30th.
It is also credit to the builders of the pavilion that it remained substantially the same until the first modification in 1952. A members’ ladies stand and temporary public stand were erected soon afterwards and such accommodation was in place for both Lord Hawke’s and Priestly’s teams in the first year of international cricket at our venue in 1897.